Sunday 1 July 2012

A Journey Within


By Sri Ram S.

(Sri Ram. S is an MSc (Math) and MBA grad from Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning. He was also the University Brass band leader, a mandir bhajan singer and one of the founders of the alumni Band Group known as Rhythmic Energy. Post studies he worked in the IT industry for over 6 years after which he moved on and is currently a practising Clinical Integrated Hypnotherapist working out of Bangalore. He has founded Sunshine Wellness Studio (www.SunshineStudio.in) that aims at using various modalities of hypnotherapy for healing.
Feel free to write in on your experiences and also if you have any further queries at info@SunshineStudio.in)


Over the last two years at various instances I came across people, theories, explanations and discussions on the subject of karma. I also realized that for some, the concept of karma that they held in their own minds was the root cause of holding on to their problems in life. For somewhere deep down, people felt ‘guilt’ for some ‘wrong’ and felt almost justified in the consequence. So here, I would like to share (purely) my perspective on the law of karma and how it plays an important role in healing ourselves at body, mind and spiritual levels.

As I grew up I had a pretty common attitude towards religion and God. I ‘prayed’ to God (especially when I was in trouble!) and in general it was a feeling of awe and a little fear of God. It was when I came to college and face to face with Swami that my perceptions and concept of God and spirituality changed or rather formed completely. I realized and fell in love with God (Daiva preethi as Swami would say). I understood that more than being a taskmaster, God was an ocean of compassion who stood by me at all times and helped me evolve. I also discovered that spirituality was the way we lived life and not something we do at specific times in front of an altar.

Post college the lessons learnt at California Hypnosis Institute of India (CHII) and my own experience as a therapist / healer allowed me to further crystallize my concepts of karma. I have heard a popular belief system that states that if a person A slapped a person B, then by the law of karma, person A had to receive a slap (mostly from person B). I find that to be a pretty bigoted point of view (no offence meant to believers of this). Is it possible that we say that God is compassionate and yet He would create a law to ensure ‘an eye for an eye’? An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth would leave the world blind and not spiritually evolved!
According to me, the law of karma requires person A to REALIZE what it is to receive a slap so that he would desist from such an action in the future. That’s it! It is true that the simplest way for the mind to understand this is when the person A receives a slap in the first place. But it is not to taken as a prerequisite for learning the lesson. The law of karma is in place to ensure healing and not wounding.

What is the significance of this theory? Every time we believe or are told that we are suffering due to our past karma, now we realize that all we have to do is probably find out what it is that the soul (ourselves) has to learn. When that lesson is learnt, the problem or suffering has to and will immediately abate as the learning is all that was required in the first place.

I welcome your comments and inputs to these thoughts at info@sunshinestudio.in and in my next article will outline a simple meditation by which one could resolve issues, especially relating to karmic release in relationships. Please watch this space for that.

Love & Light! :)

1 comment:

supriya said...

Yes Sri.. I agree to your point! Concept of Karma is taken always as tit-for-tat theory.. Infact Law of Karma is a much evolved concept where a person realizes his goodness and divinity, and becomes divine.. I guess that is what Bhagawan also wanted us to believe in :)